When you’re looking for a fun recipe to make with your friends and family, there’s no better option than a homemade pizza. With customizable sauces and toppings, you and your loved ones can play with unique flavor compositions and have fun crafting your own pie. There are hundreds of combinations you can explore, making it a great activity for adventurous foodies and picky eaters alike! Here’s a look at some of the best toppings for homemade pizza to remember for your next at-home pizza night.
Classic Pizza Toppings
When you’re making pizza at home, you may want to stick to your favorite toppings and recreate the dishes you know and love. Here’s a list of some classic pizza toppings that are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters:
- Pepperoni pizza: A family favorite, pepperoni pizza is easy to make yourself. To make it, top your dough with classic tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and a hearty serving of thinly sliced pepperoni.
- Supreme pizza: Another classic topping combo is supreme pizza, which offers a mix of crunchy veggies and savory meats that are popular among many pizza lovers. You can begin with a base of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Then, top it with green bell peppers, sausage, pepperoni, red onions, and black olives.
- Margherita pizza: If you’re looking for a simple, classic combination of toppings, you may want to make your own Margherita pizza. This straightforward Italian-style favorite includes red tomato sauce, pieces of buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and fresh tomato slices.
- Meat lover’s pizza: If you can’t get enough of pepperoni, sausage, and other cured meat on your pizza, there’s no need to choose just one. You can combine your favorite meat toppings and add them to your pizza with a thin layer of tomato sauce and a hearty portion of shredded mozzarella.
- Veggie lover’s pizza: When you’re looking for something light, another classic option is veggie lover’s pizza, topped with all of your favorite fresh vegetables. Add a thin layer of red sauce to your dough and add shredded mozzarella and slices of bell pepper, olives, and red onion. You can even omit the cheese if you want a vegan pie.
Vegetarian Pizza Toppings
If you or your loved ones follow a vegetarian diet, you can still enjoy a wide variety of flavorful pizza toppings! With ingredients like these, the possibilities are endless:
- Spinach artichoke pizza: When you’re looking for a vegetarian option that’s packed full of flavor, you may want to make a spinach artichoke pizza. Like its name suggests, this pizza includes tangy artichoke hearts, sauteed spinach, as well as olive oil, garlic, and combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Mushroom pizza: If you’re a fan of fungi, adding mushrooms to your pizza is a must. You can top this pizza with your favorite type of sauteed mushrooms, herbs like thyme and oregano, olive oil, and mozzarella or goat cheese.
- Pesto pizza: If you’re looking for an alternative to classic tomato sauce, consider making a flavorful pesto pizza. After adding a layer of pesto to your dough, you can add other toppings like buffalo mozzarella, and fresh tomato slices.
- Goat cheese pizza: Calling all goat cheese lovers! This flavorful cheese makes a great pizza topping, and you can add it to your dough along with a thin layer of red tomato sauce, fresh basil, and thin slices of red onion.
- Avocado pizza: While it may sound strange, adding avocado to your favorite veggie lover’s pizza can add a great creamy texture to a dish you love. Start with a thin layer of tomato sauce, add shredded mozzarella, top it with vegetables you love including bell pepper and red onion, and finish it up with slices of avocado.
Unique Pizza Toppings
One of the best parts about making homemade pizza is the opportunity to try out new toppings and ingredient combinations. Here are some unique pizza topping ideas for you to try:
- Breakfast pizza: If you’re a fan of breakfast for dinner, you don’t have to sacrifice your favorite dishes on homemade pizza night! Consider making a breakfast pizza, topped with scrambled eggs, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, breakfast sausage, and red onion slices.
- Shrimp pizza: When you can’t decide between pizza and a seafood dinner, consider combining the two! For your next homemade pizza night, you can make shrimp pizza, and top your dough with creamy ricotta or parmesan, and flavorful shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic.
- Pickle pizza: Although you may never have heard of it, pickle pizza is actually a flavor-packed option for pizza fans interested in crunchy, tangy options. Top your dough with a creamy dill and garlic sauce and add a hefty amount of sliced pickles for a unique pizza with outstanding flavor.
- Jalapeno pizza: Another great option for pizza lovers looking to expand their flavor palate is jalapeno pizza. If you’re a fan of spice, consider topping your next homemade pizza with tangy green salsa, thin jalapeno slices, canned corn, and finely chopped red onion.
- Truffle pizza: When you’re in the mood to go gourmet, consider topping your homemade pizza with truffle oil. You can start with a simple base of mozzarella, sliced mushrooms and your favorite herbs and spices and finish topping your pie with a drizzle of truffle oil.
As much fun as it is to make pizza at home, it can be hard to replicate a classic Chicago-style deep dish on your own. If you’re not in the mood to gather ingredients and make a pizza yourself, make sure to head over to Pequod’s Pizza, where we serve all of your favorite pies in a friendly, unique atmosphere. While we’re known for our caramelized deep-dish pizza, we offer a wide selection of dishes, so you and your loved ones will be sure to satisfy your cravings. You can dine in or order a pizza online to go and make your next pizza night full of fun and flavor when choosing Pequod’s Pizza.