If you love homemade mozzarella sticks, you don’t have to wait to go out to enjoy this delicious cheesy appetizer. With this recipe, you can make them whenever the desire hits you. Just be sure you plan for the 45-minute freeze time (more on that later).
What Are Mozzarella Sticks Made Of?
It’s best to use high-quality ingredients when making your mozzarella sticks. But don’t worry. You likely have most, if not all, of the ingredients on hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mozzarella cheese: Mozzarella cheese is the centerpiece of this tempting appetizer. You can buy a block of whole-fat mozzarella cheese, or you can use individually wrapped string cheese. Just make sure the cheese is low-moisture and whole milk, making it tastier and giving it a better texture.
- Panko: This ingredient will give your mozzarella sticks their crunchiness. Panko is slightly different than regular breadcrumbs. The texture is not as fine as regular breadcrumbs, but you can use a rolling pin to make them smoother, so they’ll stick to the cheese better. You’ll also add seasonings to the panko to perk up the taste.
- Italian seasoning: This seasoning is a combination of herbs such as basil, oregano, marjoram, and more. You’ll use just enough Italian seasoning to enhance the flavor but not overpower it. Since panko doesn’t have much flavor on its own, you’ll appreciate the burst of zest this gives your mozzarella sticks.
- Salt: An essential part of any fried or coated food is salt. There’s no salt in Italian seasoning or panko, so you’ll need to add a few sprinkles to draw out the taste.
- Flour: You can purchase regular all-purpose flour. It will work fine as a dusting that helps the eggs stick to the cheese.
- Eggs: Most deep-fried food gets dipped in eggs before being coated with the breading. It works to keep the panko clinging to the mozzarella sticks.
- Oil: You can use any of the regular cooking oils, such as corn, vegetable, peanut, or canola oil. You just don’t want to use olive oil because of its strong taste.
- Garlic and pepper (optional): You may prefer a little extra zing on your crunchy exterior. If so, you can add a couple of dashes of garlic and pepper for taste.
What Is the Process for Making Mozzarella Sticks?
Making these homemade mozzarella sticks isn’t too difficult. And it can be quite fun, too. As soon as you have your ingredients purchased and ready, just follow these steps:
- Arrange three bowls on the counter for your dredging components.
- You’ll have the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic in one bowl. The second bowl is for whisked eggs. And the third bowl will contain the panko and Italian seasoning.
- Now, it’s time to cut your mozzarella block into strips. These can be three-quarter inches thick. The length can be about 3 inches, or you can make mini mozzarella sticks 1.5 inches long. If you’re using string cheese, you won’t need to cut them at all.
- You’ll coat the mozzarella sticks with a dusting of the flour mixture. Then dip in the egg and coat them with the panko crumbs. You can expect your fingers to get messy, and you may need to wash them halfway through if too many panko crumbs are sticking to them.
- After you coat the mozzarella sticks, lay them on a baking sheet or other large, flat surface. You’ll need to refrigerate them for 45 minutes before the next step.
- After retrieving the mozzarella sticks from the refrigerator, it’s time to heat the oil. Cover your pan in oil and let it heat up to 350 degrees.
- Place the mozzarella sticks in the oil a few at a time. You don’t want your oil to cool down too much, and your mozzarella sticks need room to move.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks for about a minute on each side, then place them on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Serve fresh with your favorite dipping sauce.
Recipe for Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Now for the nitty-gritty details of exactly how to make your homemade mozzarella sticks.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- Two eggs.
- 2 cups of panko.
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- 12 oz. of low-moisture mozzarella cheese cut into pieces 3-inch by three-quarter inches (or 12 oz. string cheese cut in half).
- 2 teaspoons of salt (optional).
- Half a teaspoon of black pepper (optional).
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional).
- 1 quart of vegetable oil.
- Set aside a lined baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place panko in a large, sealed baggie. Use a rolling pin over the sealed bag of panko until the crumbs are smooth.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- In a second bowl, add eggs and 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk until everything is smooth.
- In a third bowl, mix the Italian seasoning with the panko crumbs.
- Dip one piece of cheese into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, followed by the panko. Be sure to press into the panko mix carefully so the crumbs stick evenly.
- Set the cheese sticks on the lined baking sheet one at a time.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze the cheese sticks for 45 minutes.
- Pour oil into a large pot and turn on medium-high heat. Using a deep fat thermometer, bring the oil to 350°F.
- Gently place the cheese sticks from the freezer into the oil in small batches. Cook until golden brown, about one minute for each side.
- Remove from oil and place on a cooling rack. Repeat with the rest of the cheese sticks.
- Serve the mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. The recommended serving size is four pieces.
Get Your Pequod’s Pizza Mozzarella Sticks Now
Making homemade mozzarella sticks can be fun, but it is also time-consuming. At Pequod’s, we serve more than just pizza. If you want the real deal without all that work, order delivery from Pequod’s. Contact us today.